Tuesday, August 14, 2012

In Her Words and Mine

A little snippet from the five-year diary of Mrs. Sarah Willis, wife of Clyde Willis, previous owner of the land we now live on and from, and my response. I will be sharing it with you occasionally in this space, for enlightenment, appreciation, and respect for those who came before us.

August 14, 1945: Tues. Today I dyed the aqua dress which Millie S. gave me. It turned out pretty good. In the evening the news came of Japan's complete and unconditional surrender. Bells began to ring, sirens howled, children screamed, Clyde decorated the car and led a parade thru several towns. V. and I stayed at home. I felt solemn, wondering just what this victory would mean throughout the world. Will it open doors to the Gospel?

August 14, 2012: Tues. Today I will be knitting a pair of socks with you on my mind, and this important day in our history. I have tried to imagine your life during this time of war, and now to hear your short account of the end of the war is humbling. At the top of this page, you have written War Ended!!! I am seeing other small victories unfold in so many lives around me, and the beautiful story behind these socks seems so fitting.
http://teakat-translations.blogspot.com/2010/08/finnish-baby-socks-translation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment