Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Dream

It started as a dream. We talked about where we really wanted to be, my husband and I. We spent afternoons driving country roads, looking at beautiful property and wondering aloud what our life might be if the owner would be willing to part with just a piece of it. We talked about building a house, about a homestead life for our growning, homeschooling family, away from the small city where we lived. We dreamed of walking out our door for our weekly hikes instead of driving to the local nature preserves. We dreamed of a larger garden than our small backyard one, of chickens, goats, orchards, preserving our food, living off of our land and our labor. We talked, and we dreamed. But my husband, his dreams soar big, and he didn't stop there. He knew that there were creative ways to dig into the homesteading life that didn't take finding a bank, purchasing some land, then somehow saving the money to build that dream house that we've always wanted.

One of those days those big, soaring dreams of his took him past a piece of property that was obviously uninhabited. An old farmhouse, and a barn that had obviously been worked on, sitting across a creek from him.




























And on that day, instead of dreaming about what it would be like to live there, he acted. He called me and said, "I've found it. I've found our homestead." He found the land owner by stopping at a local business and asking questions, and over the next several months had countless meetings with him and his family. We talked and talked of possible scenarios, and finally came up with one that worked for everyone. Contracts were formed and signed, and we are now on a journey. A year and a half ago we began this journey, and we are now closing in on finally living on our homestead. And here, in this space, I plan to share with you this journey. There will be stories from the past, life in the present, and dreams and plans for the future. All told, you will share in our Adventure Homestead, as we plow through this land and this new life to find a little more of who we are all supposed to be as individuals and as a family.

I hope you will visit often, and share in this adventure with me. Come share as this barn becomes a home, as our five children grow into who they are to become through their experiences here on our homestead, and as we learn and grow our small homestead farm. There is so much to do, so much to learn, and I am thankful to have a space to share it with you all.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations NatureMama. So glad that you are sharing your wonderful experiences with us in this format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nancy! I hope you stop by often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it! I can't wait to see how this land molds and shapes and develops your family, and how your family being there develops this land. I also can't wait to watch you live this dream, and live it a little bit myself right along side you :)

    ps. Look at baby Laina ;)

    Megan
    wwwsunshinethroughthewindows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I was just getting on here to send you the link. Your friendship is something that makes me even more excited about this adventure. I know I get to share it with you, and that we are NEVER alone out there just because we're moving a bit farther away. We'll still always be neighbors. A few miles can't change that.

      Delete
    2. And one of the biggest joys I'm getting out of going back through these old photos is seeing the huge change in the kids over the last year and a half! Yes, look at baby Laina!

      Delete